Historic Iberville, St. James, St. John the Baptist, and St. Mary Parishes Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection spans 1846-1985 and covers one linear foot. It contains contains poll tax receipts, photographs, correspondence, newspapers, brochures, account ledger from Z. and H. Breaux Co., sketch of Sophie Mitchell Gay, diary of Mary Dickinson, and program for the dedication of the St. Mary Parish Courthouse.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Physical rights are retained by Nicholls State University. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Iberville Parish is named for Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville, who founded the French colony of Louisiana. It was founded 10 April 1805. The parish has a total area of 653 square miles, of which 619 square miles is land and 34 square miles (5.21%) is water. Its largest city and parish seat is Plaquemine. St. James Parish is part of the Acadian Coast and is one of the state's nineteen original parishes, created by an act of the territorial legislature on 31 March 1807. The original seat of government was the community of St. James on the west bank of the Mississippi, but was moved in 1869 to Convent on the east bank. The parish has a total area of 258 square miles, of which 246 square miles is land and twelve square miles (4.52%) is water. St. John the Baptist Parish was established in the early 1720s by a group of German colonists and is also one of the original nineteen parishes of the Territory of Orleans which later became the State of Louisiana. This parish was the second permanent settlement in Louisiana and considered part of the German Coast. The parish seat is Edgard and the largest city in this parish is Laplace The parish has a total area of 348 square miles, of which 219 square miles is land and 129 square miles (37.07%) is water. St. Mary Parish was founded in 1811 and has a total area of 1,119 square miles with 613 square miles of land and 506 square miles (45.23%) of water. The parish seat is Franklin, while its largest city is Morgan City.
1 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Sensitive Materials Statement
This collection may contain material(s) with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which Ellender Memorial Library and Nicholls State University assume no responsibility.
- Bayou Black (Saint John the Baptist Parish, La.)
- Beauregard, G. T. (Gustave Toutant), 1818-1893.
- Brothers of the Sacred Heart (Donaldsonville, La.)
- C. Alexandre and Bro. (Laplace, La.)
- Courthouses -- Louisiana -- Saint Mary Parish.
- Floods -- Louisiana -- Morgan City -- 1927.
- Iberville Parish (La.)
- Iberville Parish Health Unit (Iberville Parish, La.)
- John Dalton's Morgan City Fish and Oyster Depot (Morgan City, La.)
- Les Allemands settlement (La.)
- Mamie D. Riverboat (La.)
- Pass Manchac (La.)
- Reserve Plantation (Reserve, La.)
- Saint Hubert's Catholic Church (Garyville, La.)
- Saint James Parish (La.)
- Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (Laplace, La.)
- Saint John the Baptist Church (Saint John the Baptist Parish, La.)
- Saint John the Baptist Parish (La.)
- Saint Mary Parish (La.)
- Saint Peter Catholic Church (Reserve, La.)
- Saint Peter's School (Reserve, La.)
- Salt domes -- Louisiana -- Belle Isle.
- Slidell, John, 1793-1871.
- Uzee, Philip D. (Philip Davis), 1914-2010.
- White Castle (La.)
- Z. and H. Breaux Company (La.)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script