St. John's Episcopal Church Collection
The collection includes documentation on church history and the National Register of Historic Places. It also contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs. Church history contains legal documents involving the church's construction, programs, research information on St. John's history, articles about the church, and a list of rectors, wardens, and officers from 1845 to 1967. The National Register of Historic Places contains nomination forms, correspondence relating to the nomination of St. John's, and a list of historic sites throughout Louisiana. The general correspondence in this collection contains letters between various people pertaining to personal matters and church history. The collection also includes letters between Rev. Thomas R.B. Trader and his brother concerning family, financial, and church matters from 1853 to 1859.
Restrictions on Access
No restrictions on access.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Physical rights are retained by Nicholls State University. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
3 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Built between 1843 and 1844, St. John's Episcopal Church is one of the oldest Episcopal churches west of the Mississippi. Located on the corner of Jackson and West Seventh Streets in Thibodaux, La., St. John's was constructed on land donated by George Seth Guion. St. John's cemetery is located behind the church and is the resting place for many prominent Louisiana families including Gov. Francis T. Nicholls and the Guion family. Both the church and its cemetery are currently on the National Register of Historic Places.
The collection is arranged into five series: Church History, National Register of Historic Places, Correspondence, Newspaper Clippings, and Photographs.
Sensitive Materials Statement
This collection may contain material(s) with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which Ellender Memorial Library and Nicholls State University assume no responsibility.
- Cemeteries -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux -- Photographs.
- Church buildings -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux -- Photographs.
- Church dedication -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux.
- Church facilities -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux -- Photographs.
- Dioceses -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux.
- Episcopal Church -- : History -- : 19th century. -- : Louisiana -- : Thibodaux
- Episcopal Church -- : History -- : 20th century. -- : Louisiana -- : Thibodaux
- Guion, George Seth, 1806-1861.
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux.
- Historic sites -- Conservation and restoration -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux.
- Leighton Plantation (Thibodaux, La.)
- Polk, Leonidas, 1806-1864.
- St. John's Episcopal Church (Thibodaux, La.)
- St. John's Episcopal Church (Thibodaux, La.) -- : History. -- : 19th century.
- St. John's Episcopal Church (Thibodaux, La.) -- : History. -- : 20th century.
- Thibodaux (La.) -- History. -- 19th century.
- Thibodaux (La.) -- History. -- 20th century.
- Thibodaux (La.) -- History. -- Religious aspects. -- Episcopal Church.