South Louisiana Oral History Collection
Scope and Contents
This is an artificial collection created by Ellender Memorial Library from oral histories donated over a period of decades. It comprises oral histories (on audiotape and videotape) and related materials collected from residents of South Louisiana between approximately 1972 and 1998. Interviewees discuss topics relating to local history and culture, including foodways, traditional crafts, race, religion, illness and medicine, education, labor, and industry.
- 1972-1998 and undated
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Physical rights are retained by Nicholls State University. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Sensitive Materials Statement
This collection may contain material(s) with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which Ellender Memorial Library and Nicholls State University assume no responsibility.
- Alligator hunting
- Assumption Parish (La.)
- Assumption Parish (La.) -- History, Local.
- Bollinger, Donald G. (Donald George), 1915-2000.
- Cooking -- Louisiana
- Duck shooting
- Education -- Louisiana
- Francis T. Nicholls Junior College
- French language -- Louisiana
- Game calling (Hunting)
- Healers -- Louisiana
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- Louisiana -- Thibodaux.
- Lace and lace making
- Lafourche Parish (La.)
- Lafourche Parish (La.) -- History, Local.
- Louisiana -- History.
- Louisiana -- Social life and customs.
- Medicine -- Louisiana
- Melancon, Joseph Levy, 1906-
- Napoleonville (La.)
- Nicholls State University
- Offshore oil Industry
- Rappelet, Albert O. (Albert Otto), 1903-1984.
- Segregation -- Louisiana
- Shipyards -- Louisiana -- Lockport
- Southern States -- Religious life and customs.
- Spiritual healing
- Terrebonne Parish (La.) -- History
- Thibodaux (La.)
- United Houma Nation
- Waterways -- Louisiana
- World War, 1914-1918.
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, German.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script